Tuesday 13 November 2012

The arrival (pt 1)

I made it!

Me and the RAC map and the ever-so-useful-though-still-not-sure-I-trust-it Garmin SatNav have gotten here in one piece.

I had a lovely cup of tea and a chat with Lisa (half of 'Mark and Lisa', who own and run Cuttlebrook) and met Ace, a very cute and fond-of-tickles dog. Then I met Mark, who gave me the grand tour. It's big. There are (what feels like) a million buildings and tucked-away bits and it's all immaculate, beautiful and jammed full of very high quality koi.

Then lunch and unpacking in the on-site student accommodation. I have a bed/sitting room, en-suite wetroom, sweet little kitchen and have pottered around and unpacked.

Things I've learned so far
Biosecurity cannot, cannot, cannot be taken too seriously. I'm a little intimidated and desperately hoping I don't do something scatty! I will be asking lots of questions and probably checking to the point of neurosis that I'm not about to do something daft. But it's really, really good, and very different than anything I've seen so far in the fishy world...which, I can only presume, is why Cuttlebrook Koi have the incredibly good reputation they do.

No work boots in the house. And if workboots/wellies/waders are muddy, clean them before going onto a path. As I said - the site is immaculate.

The sales area is gorgeous with trees and a little indoor landscaping making the whole experience much more of an event.

Under no circumstances put hands (or anything else) in with koi (see first point)


Now what?
I have heard mention of draining a pond, organising a reed bed and 'chainsaw' (really excited about that last one). I've also been told to expect "big guns" by the end of my time here. No problem - bring it on; I'm here to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment